You read that correctly – “cuffins.” These little guys maybe baked in muffin shape, but this is a sweet tangy lemon loaf recipe, which is more of a cake. That left me with two choices mufcakes or cuffins, and of the two, “cuffin” sounded a little less…risque. Anyway, these little guys came from a casual conversation I had with one of my coworkers about The Great British Baking Show. We were discussing flavor combinations that sounded interesting, and one of my favorites is lemon and thyme. She is vegan, so I decided to go home and whip up something she could enjoy as well. I’m still learning about vegan baking, and this particular recipe utilized the trick of adding acid (vinegar & lemon) to activate the baking soda in your recipe, which yields a fluffier texture – something that can be difficult when you don’t have some of the traditional leavening included. I was really pleased with how these turned out, and Andy liked them too. So I am calling it a win 🙂
– 1 1/2 Cups of Cake Flour
– 1 Tblsp Chopped Fresh Thyme
– 1 Tsp Baking Soda
– 1 Tsp Baking Powder
– 1/2 Sugar
– The Zest of 1 Lemon
– Pinch of Salt
– 6 Tblsp Vegetable Oil
– 1/2 Cup Room Temperature Water
– The Juice of 1 Lemon
– 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
– 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
– 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
– 1/2 Lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with muffin liners.
2. In a large Mixing Bowl Wisk Together flour, zest, thyme, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. To the mixture add the water, juice, vanilla extract and vinegar. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
4. Bake for 18 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
5. Combine ingredients for glaze and drizzle over cooled cuffins.
Enjoy while watching your favorite episode of The Great British Baking Show.