Most of the baking I do is for funsies, but right now I am working on recipes to use for an international inspired dessert buffet. I still have a few weeks to figure everything out, but I want to do a trial run of as many recipes as I can before we hit crunch time. While taste is obviously first and foremost, this time around I need to figure out how to make things easy to eat, simple to make, and ideally something that stores well so I am not trying to make everything the day of. The first item I decided to work on was brownie bites inspired by the spice and richness of Mexican Hot Chocolate. I’d found a few recipes online, and while I could certainly cobble together a recipe to suit my needs from scratch, I really wanted something that would tick the “time” and “ease” boxes if at all possible. Enter box brownie mix. I picked one of my favorite brownie mixes (both rich and fudgy like the hot chocolate) and added the spice elements I wanted to highlight, poured it in my mini muffin tin, and checked it every five minutes until the brownies were set. We had a winner! There will need to be a little tweaking to the spice level, but all in all, I consider this a solid option and can check one more thing off my list.
- Ghirardelli Supreme Brownie Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup veggie oil
- 1/4 tsp of orange zest
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp cheyenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease mini muffin tin and set aside.
- Dissolve espresso granules into the 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and stir until completely incorporated.
- Fill muffin wells half way with batter and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before gently removing from tin. Enjoy!
* If you choose substitute in another box mix, be sure to choose one without chocolate chips or pieces added. It’ll throw off the balance of spice, and with the bites being so small, you run the risk of the chips burning against the sides of the tin before the brownie is set.