Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: goals
And here we go again, it’s resolution time people! I am now securely “in” my thirties and I am planning big changes to take control of this new decade. Of course one of the ways I do that is having you guys hold me accountable to my yearly “to do” list, so here you have it, my 31 before 32.
- Take 10 classes.
- Make profiteroles.
- Try 12 recipes from Sweet & Savage.
Southern Sartorialist’s Cookies
Maniac Fire Bread
Blackberry Cobbler Quickbread
Orange & Lavender Extract
Upside-down Skillet Corn Cake
Hiker’s Bravado Cookies
- Do 2 DIY’s a month.
- Find my “sexy”.
- Write 10 new recipes.
Chocolate Lavender Cake with Blackberry Filling
Chocolate Chip Pistachio GF Cookies
Banana Bread with Brown Butter Glaze
Mini makeover on the guest bathroom. Repaint the hallway.
- Make Swiss Buttercream.
- Read 30 new books.
Missing – Kelley Armstrong
The Lie Tree – Frances Hardinge
The Shark – Mary Burton
The Doll Maker – Mary Burton
The Hang Man – Mary Burton
Come As You Are – Emily Nagoski
The Lowland – Jhumpa Lahiri
Double or Nothing – Craig Schaefer
Lioness of Morocco – Julia Drosten
Girls in White Dresses – Alex Gates
The Haunting of Rachel Harroway – J.S. Donovan
Dreamers Pool – Juliet Maillier
Stillhouse Lake – Rachel Caine
Beneath the Surface – Sibel Hodge
The Star Touched Queen – Roshani Chokshi
Go somewhere I’ve never been.
- 13 random acts of kindness.
- Upgrade the light fixtures in the hallway.
- Host a girls night.
- Watch a well known movie that I’ve never seen.
- Clean up and re-do my back patio.
- Create 5 new paintings.
- Wear 5 fashion trends that scare me.
Plant rose bushes in front of the garage.
- Create and maintain a yoga practice 3-5 days a week.
Dye my hair purple.
- Take a weekend trip with friends.
- Go on a picnic – with a basket & everything.
- Wear heels at least 1 day a week.
- Go through all of my crafting supplies and get rid of at least 25%.
- Make and give a handmade gift.
- Make a pie.
- Collaborate with other creatives on two new projects.
- Try 12 new restaurants.
Izzy Pub & Sushi
Toothsome Chocolate Emporium
Last years “TBD” ended up being a lot of fun, so I decided to finish off this years list with another one. I was pretty pleased with the progress I made last year, if you’re interested you can see how I did here.
Image from here.
Today…well, the last few days actually, I’ve been feeling grey. It’s not what it initially sounds like as feeling grey is not at all like feeling blue, rather I’ve been feeling expectant. I’m not one for New Years resolutions (I do my yearly goals list in March for my birthday), but this year January has been feeling like a blank slate. There are so many things that I want for myself and my life, and grey seems like such a neutral place to start. With out making specific goals, I am going to share a few of the things that I want from 2017.
I want to collaborate – one of the things I miss the most about college is sitting in a room with other creatives and being able to bounce ideas off of one another. I want to create – continuing what I started in 2016 I want to continue to push myself creatively, new techniques, new skills, new combinations. I want to be intentional – I feel like so much of my 20’s was jumping from one crazy life event to another; I never had a “plan”, and I just kept my head down and powered through, Here we are a decade later, and a lot of my life is a cobbled together mishmash of random decisions and necessity. Now I want a plan. So there you have it, concepts and thoughts for a new year. Fortunately I still have a bit time to really hammer out my plan of action.
Images from here.
In pursuit of getting one step closer to crossing off #8 off of my 30 before 31, I pulled out a cookbook I received for Christmas from my brother-in-law and his girlfriend. It’s chock full of chocolaty perfection, and I was eager to make something Andy and I could quickly grab as a snack in between running errands and our household chores.
After perusing the book for a few minutes, I landed on this tea bread. It was pretty simple to whip up, and I thought with a couple of tweaks it would be pretty perfect for us.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- zest of one orange
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, fully incorporating each. If the mixture starts to curdle beat in 1-2 tablespoons of the four.
- Mix in the chocolate, the crasins, the pecans, the vanilla and the orange zest. Sift the flour and gently fold into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and create a small well down in the center with the back of a spoon.
- Place loaf pan in the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes to an hour.
- Leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes then carefully turn our to finish cooling.
- Serve in thin slices.
- At first glance, it looks like I changed a lot of this recipe, and to a certain extent ,that is true. I replaced three of the ingredients because of Andy’s food allergies and my absolute disdain of raisins, but I tried to stay close to the original recipe by swapping them for items that wouldn’t alter the integrity. There was still chocolate, dehydrated fruit, and nuts, so I think it all came out pretty true in the end.
- I left my bread in the full hour, and it came out a little drier than I like, which isn’t a problem if you are actually serving this with tea, but I think next time I’ll cut 5-10 minutes off the cook time.
It’s resolution time, people. I am now in the first bright and shiny year of my thirties, and boy howdy, do I have plans. Here, for your reading pleasure, is my list of 30 things I would like to accomplish before I turn 31.
Go somewhere I’ve never been.
- Take 1 class a month.
Intuitive Painting – May
Intuitive Painting – June
Sea Glass Painting – August
Intuitive Painting – August
Glass Fusing – January
- Visit the west coast.
30 days of minimalism challenge. Have high tea in another state. Have a girls only mini vacation. Try 10 new restaurants.
Salt Water Seafood Co
Liberty Bar & Restaurant
Brick & Spoon
Green Truck Pub
Southern Public House
Make 12 recipes from cookbooks I already own.
Chocolate Toffee Coffee Cake
Orange Spice Cookies
Everyone’s Favorite Birthday Cake
Blood Orange Tiramisu
English Chocolate Tea Bread
Dark Chocolate Fudge
A Very Vanilla Sprinkle Cake
Cinnamon Streusel Cider Muffins
Dolly’s Doughnut Cake
Cranberry Maple Muffins
Irish Tea Bread
Apple Pecan Cake
Make 5 projects off of my Pinterest “Craft” board
Jingle Bell Wreath
- Finally, finally, FINALLY open my Etsy shop.
- Go to a blogger meet-up.
Read 30 new books.
City of the Lost – Kelly Armstrong
Dark Places – Gillian Flynn
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs
The Mermaid’s Sister – Carrie Anne Noble
Redemption Song – Craig Schaefer
The Living End – Craig Schaefer
Plain Dealing Villain – Craig Schaefer
The Killing Floor Blues – Craig Schaefer
The Spirit Class Charade – Colleen Gleason
The Clockwork Scarab – Colleen Gleason
The Butterfly Garden – Dot Hutchison
The Paper Magician – Charlie N. Homberg
The Glass Magician – Charlie N. Homberg
The Master Magician – Charlie N. Homberg
Play Dead – Anne Frasier
Stay Dead – Anne Fraiser
Pretty Dead – Anne Fraiser
The Body Reader – Anne Fraiser
Shes Not There – PJ Parrish
The Moonlit Garden – Connie Bomann
The Beaufort Bride: The Life of Margaret Beaufort – Judith ArnoppMagic Bitter, Magic Sweet – Charlie N. Holmberg
The Bloodletter’s Daughter – Linda Lafferty
The Crying Girl – Glen Ebisch
The Storied Life of AJ Fikry – Gabrielle Zevin
Weightless – Kandi Steiner
The Room – Emma Donoghue
The Heir of Linn Haug – Karen Charlton
The Sans Pareil Mystery – Karen Charlton
Betrayals – Kelly Armnstrong
Wear fake eyelashes. Try to do 3 creative projects a week. Walk on the beach and collect sea shells. Get my makeup professionally done. Try purple lipstick. Get a tattoo. Formulate a five year plan. More original content for the blog. Work on my photography skills. Collaborate on projects with other creatives. Host a Sunday brunch. Get better at participating in social media.
- Finish the gallery wall in the master bedroom.
Paint and decorate the guestroom.
- Paint the guest bathroom.
TBD – Complete an entire puzzle Make something that I can wear. Get my home office to the point where I can actually work in it.
I left 28 as sort of a swing goal. Every year I run into something challenging or interesting and what better way to force myself into action than to add it to this list where I have you guys to follow along and keep me accountable. Last year I did pretty well if I do say so myself. You can check out my 29 before 30 here and see how I did.
Image from here.
It’s that time again, the time of year where I make all of my new year’s resolutions. This is my third year doing one of these and I think I have some fun/challenging stuff in store, and of course I will be updating you guys on the progress. You can click here to see how I did on my 27 before 28, didn’t quite make them all, but I did better than I did the year before so we’ll call it a win. Without further ado, my 28 before 29!
Create more original content for my blog
- Get my braces off – So much for done in 2 years, we are now creeping up on 3 with no end in sight
Fur Baby Fundraiser
- Pink Hair – My boss wouldn’t go for it, but Andy did buy me a pink wig
12 new cake recipes
Brown Sugar Cupcakes
Chocolate Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
Chocolate Chip Raspberry Cupcakes
White Chocolate Cupcakes with Truffle Filling
Cherry Almond Cupcake
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Blood Orange Cupcakes
Random acts of kindness– at least one a month! Try 10 new restaurants
Savannah Moon Baking Co.
The Flying Monk
Mom & Dad’s
Miccosukee Root Cellar
Chop House on the Bricks
Sunny Pointe Cafe
- Plant a herb garden – I bought a mint plant…it’s still alive, but I don’t think it counts.
Learn 8 embroidery stitchesI learned a blanket stitch and crocheted a small blanket. Create a logo
- New Tattoo – the two times I tried to go things didn’t work out
Have tea in Savannah See a play in Asheville Visit Looking Glass Falls Go to the Zoo Mini vacation somewhere I’ve never been Use my Instagram account
- Make a quilt – Didn’t happen, not even close
Get more comfortable using my new photography equipment Organize my office
- Make a dress – bought a pattern, cut the pieces and that’s as far as it went
Banish the Beige – Paint the Hallway
- Banish the Beige – Paint the Master Bathroom – after painting the hallway we decided to postpone all other painting endeavors for the time being.
- Banish the Beige – Paint the Guestroom – same thing that happened to painting the bathroom
Embrace snail mail– I sent more, but not as much as I had hoped to. Complete the 30 day squat challenge Work on my personal growth with the ladies of Whole Soul Lab Design and order a custom tshirt
Image from here.