Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: health
The diet gods have smiled down on me and I have a new favorite snack food! Kale chips, rich delicious crispy baked kale chips. Normally, I’m not a huge fan of greens (collards, mustard, turnip, ect.) and whenever I’d heard kale discussed in the past, the flavor was likened to the very veggies I’d spent my childhood avoiding, so I decided I really wasn’t interested. A few days ago I happened to be at a friends house when some random cooking show was doing a special on healthy snack food. Kale chips were one of the main things on the menu and when I saw the bag of pre-chopped kale in the produce department yesterday I thought, “what the heck.” I am so pleased with the results.
- 1 bunch (about 6oz) of kale
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs. Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl.
- Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet, then sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Place baking sheet on a rack to cool.
Easy right? Here are some tips and variations that worked well for me:
- Buy a bag of pre-chopped kale, I have a huge bag in the fridge so that I can just pull a couple handfuls when I need them.
- I used fresh cracked salt and pepper to give the kale a little more kick
- A sprinkle of garam masala is a great flavor variation as well.
For the parents out there: Smitten Kitchen recommends grinding up the baked kale and sprinkling it over popcorn as a way to sneak veggies into your picky eater’s diet.
Original recipe and images from here.