Tag Archives: hot chocolate
This recipe came to me courtesy of one of my west coast friends Verhanika. She is entrepreneur, mother, blogger (Issues & Tissues), and all around bad-ass boss bitch. We met freshman year of college and have been friends ever since. In some of our recent phone conversations, she’d mentioned making herself a Chocolate Chai to enjoy while were on the phone or to wind down in the evenings. Finally I broke down and asked for the recipe because it sounded amazing, and it was.
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cup of milk
- Heaping tbsp of David Rio Tiger Spice Chai
1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine chips and cover with milk. 2. As the chips start melting add your chai mix. 3. Whisk ingredients together until chocolate is fully melted and integrated into the liquid. 4. Carefully, pour into a tall mug, or two smaller mugs, and enjoy!
- The ambiguity on the milk measurement is to allow for people who’d prefer a smaller quantity of beverage or for a more concentrated flavor. Personally, I go for the 1 1/2 cup 😉
- If you can’t get your hands on the chai mix, you can steep 2 chai tea bags in the hot milk and then finish with a tbsp or two of sugar to add additional sweetness.
- This beverage is already pretty amazing on its own, but if you want to take completely over the top, you can garnish the final product with a dollop of whipped cream and dusting of cinnamon.
This week has really been kind of awful. Not one big bad thing, but a few solidly built medium sizes issues that add up to a whole lot of not awesome. Consequently, my Christmas spirit has reached a new low. Christmas used to be a really big deal when I lived at home, and now that most of my college friends have moved on and my family is hours away…I am just feeling a little less merry this year. But enough of that. On to the important thing!
Nutella Hot Chocolate. That’s right, you heard correctly. Nutella. Hot. Chocolate.
Nutella Hot Chocolate (makes 1 serving)
- 1 cup of milk (most any milk will work)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of Nutella
Over medium heat, warm milk in a saucepan. When warmed through, add Nutella and whisk to combine. Continue heating over medium heat, whisking as necessary, until cocoa is steamy and frothy. (Make sure not to boil or scald the milk!)
Crazy simple right? I am a little ashamed to admit that the thought never occurred to me. Usually I eat my Nutella right off the spoon. What do you think Verhanika?
Recipe and picture from Creature Comforts.