Tag Archives: Makeup
So, this month’s $20 a Month was actually $27.95, but there was a ton of stuff plus a makeup bag, i’m a sucker for sample sizes and storage bags/containers. This month I got the Vegan Beauty Essentials Kit. You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this, I’m not, but I also feel since I use things like soap/lotion/make-up everyday, why not use something that I can feel good about using. I’ve been told that every little bit helps.
- Soapbox Black Soap – really intense smelling, but really
- Death by Lavender All Natural Deodorant – effective, but when they say “death by lavender” they mean death by lavender. I like floral scents as much as the next girl, but DAMN.
- Rainbow Honey in Persephone – the color is a very sweet girly candy pink with glitter, which is not really something i’ll really wear a lot, but the coverage and wear is up there with some of the most expensive brands I’ve tried. Two quick coats, no base coast or top coast and my nails were only slightly chipped at the end of a week. I’d be interested in trying out some of their less cutesy colors.
- Pacifica Coconut Kiss Creamy Lip Butter in Lava – the lip butter went on smoothly and had a finish that was creamy instead of glossy or sticky. The smell was softly sweet and vaguely coconut-y (not a big surprise given the name), not much of a flavor, which was fine. The color wasn’t the best for me. Since I am really really pale the orangy-red kind of washed me our and clashed with my red hair, plus the color bled just a little. I will probably try out a different color.
- Earth’s Enrichments Lemon Fresh Shea – My favorite product in the bag. It smelled like a lemon lollipop and while it didn’t have a lot of lather, it moisturized AND exfoliated. My skin was so happy. I will be getting a full sized bar.
- Lotus Moon Hydrating Gel – This stuff is great, I used it on my face for two weeks and my skin looked a-mazing! It moisturizes without leaving any residue and your face never feels oily. The only time I had any issues was when I coupled this with my tinted BB cream since it also has a moisturizing element, it was a little to much of a good things. So I switched to using it with my tinted powder instead and everything was fine. The only things I didn’t care for was the strong herb-y smell, you get used to it, but it definitely lingers all day.
- Concrete Minerals Eyeshadow – This is exactly like the Bare Minerals eyeshadow I was obsessed with a couple of years ago. The best part of the mineral shadow is you can control how dark you want it, the color goes on sheer and you can and additional layers until you get the desired shade. Bonus, these layers don’t get cake-y or crease. I still think I am a pressed shadow girl, but if go back to the loose powder I’ll definitely use this brand.
- Weleda Citrus Hydrating Body Lotion – a FANTASTIC lotion. It hydrates like the name says, without leaving residue. I hate when I go to wash my hands hours after putting lotion on and they feel slimy because the lotion hasn’t really absorbed into the skin. I’ll say it again, this leaves no residue! And it smells like freshly squeezed limes and lemons. I took the sample to work with me and let one of my coworkers try it, she loved it as much as I did.
- Molly Rose Pickles & Ice Cream Lip Balm – it really was pickles & ice cream…I….yeah….it wasn’t for me.
- Aubrey NuStyle Organic Detangler & Shine Booster – I couldn’t use this one myself, my hair is short and baby fine; most days I don’t even use a conditioner. Something like this would leave my hair feeling and looking oily by the end of the end of the day. So instead I sent it home with one of my co-workers. She has been using it on her daughters hair and they both agree that it works really well. Better in fact, then some of the more expensive salon detanglers they’ve tried. The only issue they had was that it smelled “odd”, but not enough to stop using it.
-There was also a sunscreen and a body tonic that I haven’t tried yet.
A lot of stuff right? The items in the essentials kit are randomly selected so you may not end up with everything I had, but it’s kind of exciting to not know exactly what’s waiting for you when you open that brown box. If you try out your own kit, leave a comment to let me know what your favorite product was.
I’ve had to make some unexpected changes since I got braces. One of the most unexpected was my lipstick. Since the braces slightly change the shape of my lips and mouth, my lipstick started wearing off in strange patterns and lips got seriously chapped. After a few days of this I had to try something new. Enter the tinted lip balms by Fresh. Since I am a Sephora “Beauty Insider” (basically it means in exchange for my email address, I get redeemable prize points to be used for special kits and a free birthday gift) I received two sample size tubes of the basic and rose Sugar balms for my birthday back in March. Mostly they’d just been taking up space on my bathroom counter, but after using them for a few days I am a converted believer. No more lipstick for me, it’s lip balm from here until the end of braces.
So where does the title of this post come in? From another braces induced life lesson. When my braces were put on, the lovely assistant gave me a list of things I should avoid eating/drinking. Basically, nothing overly crunchy, sticky or sugary for the next 24 months. She also confided that, from her own experience, if you really want to eat something then you’ll figure out a way to do it.
After a couple of weeks of a lot of softer, largely carb based meals I was really craving something fresh. After raiding the produce department at the Publix near the house, I made a huge plate of fresh veggies and Tuscan herb hummus (a-mazing!). Fast forward a few minutes, Andy and I are working our way through the plate and I decide I want a carrot. Since they are very crunchy, I had purchased tiny baby carrots, problem solved right? Wrong! Halfway through my first bite I knew I had made a horrible mistake. My entire mouth hurt, my brackets and wire made a horrible popping sound and I was positive that I had snapped or dislocated some part of my elaborate orthodontia. Fortunately, after frantically taking stock of the state of my braces I realized nothing had broken. Whew! Clearly carrots are now at the top of my list of things to avoid, but in 23 months I will buy another bag of carrots, I can’t allow myself to be bested by an orange vegetable smaller and thinner than my pinkie. You may have won this battle carrot, but just you wait, victory will be mine!
Images from here.
Before I met Andy I was pretty sure there was about a 45% chance that i’d end up a crazy cat lady. I regard my fuzzy ones more as little people with fur and fangs than as mere pets. Besides anyone who owns a cat can attest to the fact that cats pick you, not the other way around. So instead I am now part of that “crazy couple with all the cats”. When I saw the cat inspired makeup by Paul & Joe I may have made a slightly embarrassing sound of excitement, and quickly navigated to the website to see more. Unfortunately, the price tag is a little high for a new homeowner, and the argument for lipstick and eyeshadow vs. getting a coffee table doesn’t last that long, even in my mind. Besides, I don’t know if I could bring myself to use the product, it would ruin the absolutely adorable shape.
Urban Decay is one of my favorite brands of makeup. They have everything from bright colors with glitter to subtle sexy nudes with just a hint of shimmer. My absolute favorite product is the 24-7 Eyeliner. As it’s name would suggest this is the longest lasting liner I have ever encountered. It even made it through my car accident last year that resulted in an afternoon of sobbing, I was okay but my car was totaled, and about 2 boxes of tissues. My eyes may have been red and puffy, but they were still perfectly lined.
Currently I am lusting after the Naked pallette, this collections of soft shimmerly neutrals are perfect for the office AND for an evening out, low key but still so sexy!
Conversely, my inner five year old has been throwing fits to try the Heavy Metal Glitter Liner, I can’t think of anything more fun than bold bright colors and lots of glitter.
Right now Urban Decay is having their Friends and Family Sale, and if you enter the code FFSUMMER11 you will receive 25% off your purchase (some exceptions apply). Do yourself a huge favor and check out some of their great products, you might find your new “must have”. And with 25% off it’s the perfect time to try something new. Enjoy!