Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: pineapple desserts
The first time I made this frosting four years ago, it was actually a happy accident. I don’t remember the details, but it basically boils down to me deciding to make frosting for the cupcakes I’d just baked and realizing that I was down to one stick of butter. Most butter creams require 2 or 3. What’s a girl to do? After throwing a mild temper tantrum about how unfair it is that these things always happen to me (not my fault at all of course), I decided I was going to throw some of the left over pineapple puree into the mixer and pray to the baking gods that I’d end up with something useful. Thankfully it worked, and now I make it at least once a year for my friend Jenn’s birthday. I’ve offered to bake her all sorts of other things, but she wants her gluten-free pineapple cupcakes with pineapple butter cream. She even sneaks in a few casual reminders in the month preceding her birthday, just to make sure I don’t forget.
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of pureed pineapple*
- 2 Tsp of coconut extract
- 5-7 cups of powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer if that is all you have), whip together puree, extract, and butter. It’ll look a little strange, but it will all come together in the end.
- Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time until your frosting reaches the desired consistency.
- Whip frosting on high for an additional 3-5 minutes to make it extra light and fluffy.
Really easy, right? I do cheat a little when it comes to the actual cake part; I modify a box of the Kind Arthur’s Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix. Just replace the water with pineapple juice, and throw in a tablespoon of coconut extract, easy peasy.
* To make sure the frosting stays smooth and light, I like to puree fresh pineapple in my blender until the texture is perfectly silky. Canned puree will work just fine, but the frosting texture will be a little lumpy.
* This frosting pairs really well with toasted coconut. Make your cupcakes a little extra special by baking shredded coconut in the oven until is light brown, letting it cool, then sprinkling it over your freshly frosted cupcakes.