Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: resolutions
2018. 20-18. 2-0-1-8. Yeah, 2017 was a pretty intense year all around. With everything that has been going on in my personal life, I sort of let the last few days of the year slide on by in a blur of Netflix, purloined sweatshirts, and napping. Yesterday, I started pulling things together, and metaphorically sticking my toe out the door to see if it was safe to leave my little year end hidey-hole and re-engage with the world. So far so good. The overwhelming sentiment on social media and among my friends and colleagues is one of optimism, and in some cases a scary level of determination to make this year “better”, by force if necessary, but where does that leave me? This year more than ever I am deferring to the “my new year starts on my birthday” excuse/reasoning. I am so not ready to make out my yearly “to-do” list, but I do have some general ideas on how I would like things to go down:
- Stop comparing – it’s something we all do, and in a world full of Instagram perfection and Pinterest-worthy post, it’s hard to avoid. Ultimately though, it just makes you crazy and that is in no way helpful to the process. So this year I am going to try to focus on living my best life. Am I out of bed and functioning? Win! Did have the energy to do laundry and get dinner on the table? Self-five! We all have our own struggles and while we can find inspiration with others, it important to understand that our #bestlife may not look anything like someone else’s, and that’s completely fine.
- Self care – this goal is partly a continuation of the stop comparing and partly because we are working on stepping down the big daily med I’ve been on for years. For this to be successful, I am going to have to make sure I am listening to my body and what it needs as well as mindfully setting aside time to meditate/rest/whatever I need to be my healthiest. Which as a step, and this is hard for a chubby girl to admit, I am going to try to stop worrying about my weight. Seems strange right? But I am going to focus on good, healthy foods and eating in a way that provides sustainable energy and a more harmonious body, and keep my eyes off the scale for a while.
- Be grateful – life has given me a lot. Not as much as some (that comparison thing again), but much, much more than others. It’s good to have goals and to work towards something “better”, but it’s just as important to be mindful of what you’ve accomplished and to send up a general “thank you” to the universe from time to time. I am going to endeavor to end each day by listing three things I am grateful for AND I am going to verbalize them, probably to Andy. He’ll be so pleased 🙂
So that’s it. Those are the three things that I want from this new year. No biggie, right?
Image from here.
Today…well, the last few days actually, I’ve been feeling grey. It’s not what it initially sounds like as feeling grey is not at all like feeling blue, rather I’ve been feeling expectant. I’m not one for New Years resolutions (I do my yearly goals list in March for my birthday), but this year January has been feeling like a blank slate. There are so many things that I want for myself and my life, and grey seems like such a neutral place to start. With out making specific goals, I am going to share a few of the things that I want from 2017.
I want to collaborate – one of the things I miss the most about college is sitting in a room with other creatives and being able to bounce ideas off of one another. I want to create – continuing what I started in 2016 I want to continue to push myself creatively, new techniques, new skills, new combinations. I want to be intentional – I feel like so much of my 20’s was jumping from one crazy life event to another; I never had a “plan”, and I just kept my head down and powered through, Here we are a decade later, and a lot of my life is a cobbled together mishmash of random decisions and necessity. Now I want a plan. So there you have it, concepts and thoughts for a new year. Fortunately I still have a bit time to really hammer out my plan of action.
Images from here.
It’s resolution time people. It is year four of my “__ before __” list and I am really excited for the year ahead. As I’m sure you’ll notice a lot of my goals this year focus on trying new things and pushing the boundaries on the skills that I already have. I’ll keep you guys updated on my progress!
Body Beautiful – find my healthy and work on loving what God gave me. Coffee Journey – cold brew, french press, turkish…find my perfect cup.*my acupuncturist put the kibosh on this, but I have rediscovered my love of hot tea. My reining favorite is Princess Grey.
Convince Andy to grow and wax a handle bar mustache. Try 10 new recipes.
Double Chocolate Cookies
Very Blueberry Scones
Chocolate Blackberry Whipped Ganache
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Chocolate Orange Cookies
Chocolate Drizzled Orange Spice Cookies
Take a hand lettering class.Silk Dying Class
Take a painting class
Take a class and learn a new skill (TBD).
Indigo Dying Class
Write 5 original recipes or recipe adaptations.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Jar
Vegan Hot Cocoa in a Jar
Vegan Apple Crumble
Peanut Butter Pretzel Brittle
Get my braces off. Redesign blog layout. Complete three mini home renovation projects. Take a mini Atlanta vacation. Do two Zen Tangles a week.Ended up with adult coloring books instead. Try 12 new restaurants.
Maple Street Biscuit Co
Be Our Guest
Au Peche Mignon
Collaborate on two new projects. Go apple picking.
- Put the MP3s from all of my cds on one car friendly storage device. Nope
- Create my first DIY post. Fail, I had some great ideas, they just never made it to you guys.
Have high tea. Host a tea party.
- Make a quilt. I completely forgot about this until about two weeks ago and I decided that it was just going to have to wait another year.
Make a statement necklace.
- Fill a sketchbook with new designs. I didn’t manage to fill one, but there has been a definite increase in the number of sketches I’ve been doing.
Find a way for my diabetic mother to have dessert every night. Make at least 5 of the crafts I’ve pinned on Pinterest.
Glitter Dipped Wooden Spoons
Cocoa & Cookies in Jars
Work on curating a wardrobe vs. just buying clothing. Wear makeup at least five days a week.
- Get my tattoo. Didn’t make it to Savannah, hopefully next year.
- Create a gallery wall in the master bedroom. I didn’t find all of the things I wanted to fill the space, but I am about half there.
Image from here.
It’s that time again, the time of year where I make all of my new year’s resolutions. This is my third year doing one of these and I think I have some fun/challenging stuff in store, and of course I will be updating you guys on the progress. You can click here to see how I did on my 27 before 28, didn’t quite make them all, but I did better than I did the year before so we’ll call it a win. Without further ado, my 28 before 29!
Create more original content for my blog
- Get my braces off – So much for done in 2 years, we are now creeping up on 3 with no end in sight
Fur Baby Fundraiser
- Pink Hair – My boss wouldn’t go for it, but Andy did buy me a pink wig
12 new cake recipes
Brown Sugar Cupcakes
Chocolate Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
Chocolate Chip Raspberry Cupcakes
White Chocolate Cupcakes with Truffle Filling
Cherry Almond Cupcake
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Blood Orange Cupcakes
Random acts of kindness– at least one a month! Try 10 new restaurants
Savannah Moon Baking Co.
The Flying Monk
Mom & Dad’s
Miccosukee Root Cellar
Chop House on the Bricks
Sunny Pointe Cafe
- Plant a herb garden – I bought a mint plant…it’s still alive, but I don’t think it counts.
Learn 8 embroidery stitchesI learned a blanket stitch and crocheted a small blanket. Create a logo
- New Tattoo – the two times I tried to go things didn’t work out
Have tea in Savannah See a play in Asheville Visit Looking Glass Falls Go to the Zoo Mini vacation somewhere I’ve never been Use my Instagram account
- Make a quilt – Didn’t happen, not even close
Get more comfortable using my new photography equipment Organize my office
- Make a dress – bought a pattern, cut the pieces and that’s as far as it went
Banish the Beige – Paint the Hallway
- Banish the Beige – Paint the Master Bathroom – after painting the hallway we decided to postpone all other painting endeavors for the time being.
- Banish the Beige – Paint the Guestroom – same thing that happened to painting the bathroom
Embrace snail mail– I sent more, but not as much as I had hoped to. Complete the 30 day squat challenge Work on my personal growth with the ladies of Whole Soul Lab Design and order a custom tshirt
Image from here.