Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: Summer
While some of you might be starting to look towards Fall, Summer is still alive and well here in the Sunshine State. We’ve got quite a lot of warm sunny days left to our year, and I am still feeling the summer vibes. Keeping that in mind, I’ve created a wishlist of items that I’d like to help me finish out the warmer weather.
- Lace Trapeze Dress – Free People
- Rose Gold Backpack – City Chic
- Elizabeth Climber Earring – Urban Outfitters
- Pineapple Sippers – Amazon
- Matilda Floral Kimono – Anthropologie
- Kake Flats – Kurt Geiger
- Haberkorn Sunglasses – Aldo
- Picnic Blanket – H&M
- Floral High-Waist Bikini – Torrid
I’ve been wearing a lot of loose breezy dresses to stay cool and billowy kimonos to keep the sun off my shoulders, and to be honest, I am always looking to expand my collection. After a recent trip to the beach, I’ve realized I really need to get a new swim suit. I want something that is me, but also a teeny tiny bit outside of my comfort zone, so I think a high-waist bikini might be a step in the right direction. Oh, and I thought those pineapple sippers were hella cute, and really, I just want them, summer seems a good a reason as any, right?
In an effort to honor the sanctity of the Summer Bucket list, I decided to kick things off by shopping for sunglasses. I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for; I wanted sunnies with that little extra something special. It is summer after all. Like I thought, the internet came through like a champ and I found all sorts of wonderful over the top options. The price tag however… I’m just looking for something fun, not a lifelong style commitment. Fortunately, there is this wonderful thing called Amazon, and it was more than happy to hook me up with plenty of options, all of which were under $20. Here are my top contenders.
- Pastel Strip Oversized Sunnies
- Blue Jeweled Cat Eye Sunglasses
- Sparkling Geometric Rose Fade Sunglasses
- Gold Accented Sunnies
- Jeweled Leopard Cat Eye Sunglasses
- Royal Pink Star Spangled Sunnies
- Pearl & Rhinestone Oversized Sunglasses
- Two Tone Baroque Swirl Sunglasses
- Engraved Floral & Gold Leaf Sunnies
What do you think? I am finding myself having a hard time deciding which to get, and I would honestly be grateful for opinions and recommendations at this point.
Originally this was just going to be a post about all the things I wanted to do this summer, but as I was going through my list and looking for other suggestions online, I came across an “ultimate summer bucketlist for friends” which lead to me reading them out to Andy and having some rather sarcastic reactions to some of the suggestions. For the sake of authenticity (and his own personal amusement) Andy has urged me to post my reaction to the list instead of a list of my own, so here we go.
- Chase down an ice cream truck – I only run if chased, and sometimes not even then. Heck yeah to ice cream though.
- Go to a state fair – Yeah, it’s hot here; our state fair happens in February when you can go outside with dying.
- Buy a pair of sunglasses – Sure thing, I already have like 5 pairs, but far be it from me to turn down an excuse for shopping.
- Paint mugs outside – How about we paint them inside and tell people we painted them outside?
- Take a dance class – I’m actually down for this; now I just have to sucker someone in to going with me.
- Complete a puzzle – This is going to be a me and Andy activity. I get a little possessive and competitive when it come to the puzzle pieces, and he’s already agreed to that whole “for better or worse” clause.
- Have a picnic – I counter with: having an indoor picnic and building a pillow fort like you’re 7.
- Make friendship bracelets – I actually remember how to make them, so this might have to happen.
- Play with animals at your local shelter – I’ll go to the cat cafe instead; I’m not allowed to go to the shelter anymore after I brought Stanley home.
- Crash a wedding – Why?
- Go strawberry picking – Can’t, this is also done much earlier in the year here.
- Browse a farmers market – Heck yeah, I am going to be in Seattle soon, and this is already on my “to-do” list.
- Rock temporary tattoos – Nope, I do the real thing or nothing at all.
- Try a summer cocktail – Make that a mocktail for those of us who can’t drink and you’ve got yourself a deal. I think I’ll make Blackberry Sage Lemonade. With a fancy straw and a paper umbrella. Maybe some flower ice cubes.
- Go rollerblading – Not gonna lie, I used to be awesome on rollerblades, but now I am afraid of falling and hurting myself. I’m not old, but I also am not as resilient as I once was.
- Run through sprinklers – Pass, someone always ends up stepping on something sharp or tripping over the hose. Might as well buy one of those Crazy Daisy things and take out the whole family at once.
- Buy a minipool and use it – Why would I pay good money to sit in a tiny plastic tub full of inevitably dirty water that will reach scalding temperature an hour after it’s filled?
- Draw with sidewalk chalk – Cool. I’m down.
- Climb a tree – Nope.
- Play a card game – I only know how to play goldfish and war, if someone is game for that we can make this happen.
- Have a water balloon fight – Absolutely not, I’m an adult now, and no one is going to clean up all those tiny rubber pieces after me anymore.
- Make a friendship playlist – This actually sounds like fun. I’ll have to figure out how to burn it onto a CD that I can decorate with Sharpies.
- Rent a kayak – It’s a long complicated story, but in short I had a friend who once ended up with a boat full of spiders so I’m going to have to say “no thanks”.
- Dye a streak of your hair – I dye all of my hair once a month so I’m already ahead of the game.
- Blow bubbles – Okay.
- Go horseback riding – You see, I’m really not a petite person so we’ll spare the poor ponies.
- Make boozy popsickles – I will make these for other people and they can enjoy them while I sip on my mocktail.
- Stargaze – Does driving home late count?
- Collect seashells – Perfect, I’ll add them to my collection.
- Do a Pinterest craft – I don’t know, it feels wrong to make something instead of pin more things I won’t make.
- See an action movie – Popcorn and inside? Done and done.
- Take a road trip – I can fit 5 in my car; who’s ready to go?
- Build a birdhouse – There are already two in my backyard that they don’t use. Imma pass.
- Host a doodling contest – But if I host does that mean I can’t win? We’ve already discussed the competitive thing.
- Play MASH – I can, but I’m married with a house, so I think I know how things are going to shake out.
- Go camping in the backyard – Hard pass.
- Stay up until dawn – Hard pass #2
- Make homemade sorbet – I do have the ice cream maker already…
- Tie-dye shirts – Always fun and never quite what you hope for, but all in all, not a bad afternoon project.
- Have a Disney movie marathon – Yes! Everyone brings their favorite, and we’ll make our own pizza.
- Go to a music festival – Hmmm, drunk people, outside and dirt. Hard pass #3.
- Do yoga at sunrise – I can give this a shot, on the inside looking out at the sunrise.
- Create your own hashtag on Instagram – #idontdooutside2018 . Nailed it.
- Take selfies in your cutest pajamas – Oh, make the Disney marathon pajama themed!
- Shop at the dollar store – And buy the stuff to make more flower crowns!
- Have a barbeque – YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
- Play pool – Let’s change that to “Play in the pool”. There. Fixed it.
- Eat watermelon – Well if the list says I have to…..
- Sing in the car with the windows down – I’m a maverick, I’m going to sing in the car with the windows up. And by sing I mean perform. The other people on the road love it.
- Go to a playground at night – ‘Cause that isn’t the start to a really horrible horror movie where the chubby purple haired chic who doesn’t run totally gets killed first.
- Bury a time capsule – I’ve buried like three over the years, and I don’t remember where they are.
- Challenge each other in a video game – Me: Needlessly competitive. I game alone.
- Make your own lip balm – My inner hippy is all for this. I already have like five recipes pinned… wait… would this count as a craft?
- Keep a summer scrapbook – I have a life scrapbook; it’s called Instagram.
- Read a book on the beach – I will do both, but not together.
- Go on a double date – Can we roll this into the action movie thing or do I have to come up with something non-popcorn related?
- Fly a kite – Remember what I said about not running?
- Do something that scares you – Perfect – I’ll try waxing my legs again.
So there you have it. Did you make it all the way through? Do you want to join me in my summer bucket list? If you don’t live near Tallahassee, we can probably make this an Instagram thing.
It’s officially summer, folks! While that doesn’t change things much in my neck of the woods, I know for many of you it’s the official sign to bust out the shorts and pack away the last of the winter sweaters. Even though it’s been a long time since I had the luxury of a summer break, I always feel a little nostalgic this time of year, thinking of hours spent in the water, the ever present scent of sunscreen, and going to sleep with a fine dusting of beach sand still clinging to your feet. Looking back through that hazy warm filter that makes everything seem idyllic, it also, inexplicably, makes me want to listen to Lana Del Rey. On this longest day of the year, I find myself contemplating a departure from the normal bustle of the week and considering indulging in something maybe a little childish like a trip to the ice cream parlor or late night trip to the movies complete with over salted popcorn and a shockingly refreshing slushie.
So tell me, am I alone in this or are you as unwillingly captivated by summer nostalgia as I am?
Images from here.
In a lovely bit of irony, thing are wet and dreary here in the Sunshine state on what is supposed to be the longest day of the year. Those of us who have lived in the state more than a few years are just rolling our eyes and shaking our heads. This is so apropos for our capricious little state, but in the spirit of the solstice, I wanted to share my summer bucket list with you guys. There is quite a bit to do as the days start to shorten once again.
- Go to the beach
- Swim in the ocean
- Look for seashells
- Buy a watermelon
- Have a cookout
- Make strawberry short cake
- Buy a summer hat
- Have a picnic
- Wear a sundress
- Build a sandcastle
- Wear flash tattoos
- Take a day trip somewhere new
- Eat as much summer produce as possible
- Have a summer movie day
- Eat a snow cone
- Dance in the rain
- Make friendship bracelets
- Play in a puddle
- Buy some over the top sunglasses
- Get ice cream from a local shop
- Watch fireworks
- Build a blanket fort and take a nap in it
- Watch the sunset
What’s on your summer bucket list?
Image from here.