Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: things to do
Originally this was just going to be a post about all the things I wanted to do this summer, but as I was going through my list and looking for other suggestions online, I came across an “ultimate summer bucketlist for friends” which lead to me reading them out to Andy and having some rather sarcastic reactions to some of the suggestions. For the sake of authenticity (and his own personal amusement) Andy has urged me to post my reaction to the list instead of a list of my own, so here we go.
- Chase down an ice cream truck – I only run if chased, and sometimes not even then. Heck yeah to ice cream though.
- Go to a state fair – Yeah, it’s hot here; our state fair happens in February when you can go outside with dying.
- Buy a pair of sunglasses – Sure thing, I already have like 5 pairs, but far be it from me to turn down an excuse for shopping.
- Paint mugs outside – How about we paint them inside and tell people we painted them outside?
- Take a dance class – I’m actually down for this; now I just have to sucker someone in to going with me.
- Complete a puzzle – This is going to be a me and Andy activity. I get a little possessive and competitive when it come to the puzzle pieces, and he’s already agreed to that whole “for better or worse” clause.
- Have a picnic – I counter with: having an indoor picnic and building a pillow fort like you’re 7.
- Make friendship bracelets – I actually remember how to make them, so this might have to happen.
- Play with animals at your local shelter – I’ll go to the cat cafe instead; I’m not allowed to go to the shelter anymore after I brought Stanley home.
- Crash a wedding – Why?
- Go strawberry picking – Can’t, this is also done much earlier in the year here.
- Browse a farmers market – Heck yeah, I am going to be in Seattle soon, and this is already on my “to-do” list.
- Rock temporary tattoos – Nope, I do the real thing or nothing at all.
- Try a summer cocktail – Make that a mocktail for those of us who can’t drink and you’ve got yourself a deal. I think I’ll make Blackberry Sage Lemonade. With a fancy straw and a paper umbrella. Maybe some flower ice cubes.
- Go rollerblading – Not gonna lie, I used to be awesome on rollerblades, but now I am afraid of falling and hurting myself. I’m not old, but I also am not as resilient as I once was.
- Run through sprinklers – Pass, someone always ends up stepping on something sharp or tripping over the hose. Might as well buy one of those Crazy Daisy things and take out the whole family at once.
- Buy a minipool and use it – Why would I pay good money to sit in a tiny plastic tub full of inevitably dirty water that will reach scalding temperature an hour after it’s filled?
- Draw with sidewalk chalk – Cool. I’m down.
- Climb a tree – Nope.
- Play a card game – I only know how to play goldfish and war, if someone is game for that we can make this happen.
- Have a water balloon fight – Absolutely not, I’m an adult now, and no one is going to clean up all those tiny rubber pieces after me anymore.
- Make a friendship playlist – This actually sounds like fun. I’ll have to figure out how to burn it onto a CD that I can decorate with Sharpies.
- Rent a kayak – It’s a long complicated story, but in short I had a friend who once ended up with a boat full of spiders so I’m going to have to say “no thanks”.
- Dye a streak of your hair – I dye all of my hair once a month so I’m already ahead of the game.
- Blow bubbles – Okay.
- Go horseback riding – You see, I’m really not a petite person so we’ll spare the poor ponies.
- Make boozy popsickles – I will make these for other people and they can enjoy them while I sip on my mocktail.
- Stargaze – Does driving home late count?
- Collect seashells – Perfect, I’ll add them to my collection.
- Do a Pinterest craft – I don’t know, it feels wrong to make something instead of pin more things I won’t make.
- See an action movie – Popcorn and inside? Done and done.
- Take a road trip – I can fit 5 in my car; who’s ready to go?
- Build a birdhouse – There are already two in my backyard that they don’t use. Imma pass.
- Host a doodling contest – But if I host does that mean I can’t win? We’ve already discussed the competitive thing.
- Play MASH – I can, but I’m married with a house, so I think I know how things are going to shake out.
- Go camping in the backyard – Hard pass.
- Stay up until dawn – Hard pass #2
- Make homemade sorbet – I do have the ice cream maker already…
- Tie-dye shirts – Always fun and never quite what you hope for, but all in all, not a bad afternoon project.
- Have a Disney movie marathon – Yes! Everyone brings their favorite, and we’ll make our own pizza.
- Go to a music festival – Hmmm, drunk people, outside and dirt. Hard pass #3.
- Do yoga at sunrise – I can give this a shot, on the inside looking out at the sunrise.
- Create your own hashtag on Instagram – #idontdooutside2018 . Nailed it.
- Take selfies in your cutest pajamas – Oh, make the Disney marathon pajama themed!
- Shop at the dollar store – And buy the stuff to make more flower crowns!
- Have a barbeque – YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
- Play pool – Let’s change that to “Play in the pool”. There. Fixed it.
- Eat watermelon – Well if the list says I have to…..
- Sing in the car with the windows down – I’m a maverick, I’m going to sing in the car with the windows up. And by sing I mean perform. The other people on the road love it.
- Go to a playground at night – ‘Cause that isn’t the start to a really horrible horror movie where the chubby purple haired chic who doesn’t run totally gets killed first.
- Bury a time capsule – I’ve buried like three over the years, and I don’t remember where they are.
- Challenge each other in a video game – Me: Needlessly competitive. I game alone.
- Make your own lip balm – My inner hippy is all for this. I already have like five recipes pinned… wait… would this count as a craft?
- Keep a summer scrapbook – I have a life scrapbook; it’s called Instagram.
- Read a book on the beach – I will do both, but not together.
- Go on a double date – Can we roll this into the action movie thing or do I have to come up with something non-popcorn related?
- Fly a kite – Remember what I said about not running?
- Do something that scares you – Perfect – I’ll try waxing my legs again.
So there you have it. Did you make it all the way through? Do you want to join me in my summer bucket list? If you don’t live near Tallahassee, we can probably make this an Instagram thing.
And here we go again, it’s resolution time people! I am now securely “in” my thirties and I am planning big changes to take control of this new decade. Of course one of the ways I do that is having you guys hold me accountable to my yearly “to do” list, so here you have it, my 31 before 32.
- Take 10 classes. – halfway there, but I didn’t get to try as many things as I’d hoped
Mermaid Sign Painting
Lavender Make & Take
Make profiteroles. Try 12 recipes from Sweet & Savage.
Southern Sartorialist’s Cookies
Maniac Fire Bread
Blackberry Cobbler Quickbread
Orange & Lavender Extract
Hot Pepper Extract
Fruit Compound Butter
Upside-down Skillet Corn Cake
Hiker’s Bravado Cookies
Serious Oatmeal Cookies
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Jacked Up Ginger Cookies
Do 2 DIY’s a month. Visit Chicago. Find my “sexy”. – A work in progress, but steps were made Write 10 new recipes.
Chocolate Lavender Cake with Blackberry Filling
Chocolate Chip Pistachio GF Cookies
Chocolate Chai Cake
Simple Delicious Fruit Dip
Vegan Custard Pie
Vegan Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
Brioche French Toast Casserole
Banana Bread with Brown Butter Glaze
Lightly Lavender Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Not Your Middle School Valentine Cupcakes
Mini makeover on the guest bathroom. Repaint the hallway. Make Swiss Buttercream. Read 30 new books.
Missing – Kelley Armstrong
The Lie Tree – Frances Hardinge
The Shark – Mary Burton
The Doll Maker – Mary Burton
The Hang Man – Mary Burton
Come As You Are – Emily Nagoski
The Lowland – Jhumpa Lahiri
Double or Nothing – Craig Schaefer
Lioness of Morocco – Julia Drosten
Girls in White Dresses – Alex Gates
The Haunting of Rachel Harroway – J.S. Donovan
Dreamers Pool – Juliet Maillier
Stillhouse Lake – Rachel Caine
Beneath the Surface – Sibel Hodge
The Star Touched Queen – Roshani Chokshi
Rituals – Kelley Armstrong
A Beautiful Poison – Lydia Kang
The Woman Warrior – Maxine Hong Kingston
The Barefoot Summer – Carolyn Brown
The Fifth Season – NK Jemisin
Wild – Cheryl Strayed
The Cruel Prince – Holly Black
The Wonderful Wizard of OZ – L. Frank Baum
The Marvelous Land of Oz – L. Frank Baum
Ozma of Oz – L. Frank Baum
The Fallen – Kelley Armstrong
A Fierce & Subtle Poison – Samantha Mabry
Cold Spectrum – Craig Schaffer
Sworn to the Night – Craig Schaffer
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao – Junot Diaz
Go somewhere I’ve never been. 13 random acts of kindness.
- Upgrade the light fixtures in the hallway. – Maybe next year
Host a girls night. Watch a well known movie that I’ve never seen. Clean up and re-do my back patio. Create 5 new paintings. Wear 5 fashion trends that scare me.
Body Con Dress
Cold Shoulder Shirt
Plant rose bushes in front of the garage.
- Create and maintain a yoga practice 3-5 days a week. – not even close
Dye my hair purple. Take a weekend trip with friends. Go on a picnic – with a basket & everything. Wear heels at least 1 day a week. Go through all of my crafting supplies and get rid of at least 25%. Make and give a handmade gift. Make a pie. Collaborate with other creatives on two new projects.Not quite it the way that I’d hoped, but I did it. Try 12 new restaurants.
Izzy Pub & Sushi
Toothsome Chocolate Emporium
Paint the front doors purple!
Last years “TBD” ended up being a lot of fun, so I decided to finish off this years list with another one. I was pretty pleased with the progress I made last year, if you’re interested you can see how I did here.
Image from here.