I know that the title is a mouthful, but it fits – these cookies are incredibly extra in all senses of the word. Inspired by the Milk Bar cookies created by the incomparable Christina Tosi, these cookies are chewy, melty, sweet, rich with a little salt and crunch. I will warn you – they’re a little more involved than your average cookie, but the results are well worth it. I like to whip up a batch of these when someone is having a bad day; they’re so indulgent and a tiny bit nostalgic that they have never failed to produce a smile in the recipient. I think they’re one of the best things I have made to date.
* 2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter (plus an extra 2 tblsps if needed)
*1 Cup Brown Sugar
*1 Cup Granulated Sugar
*1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
*1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
*1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
*2 Cups All Purpose Flour
*1 1/2 Tsp Salt
*2 Cups Toasted Frosted Flakes
*1 Cup Mini Marshmallows (I used Dandies)
*1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
*Smoked Sea Salt for Finishing
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F
2. Spread Frosted Flakes on a cookie sheet and toast in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes tossing occasionally. Set aside to cool.
3. Place 2 sticks of Unsalted Butter in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium/medium high heat stirring occasionally. Once the butter has melted the mixture will start to bubble and foam, stir the butter gently and the butter fats will start to turn brown. Once the butter has browned to a dark gold or hazelnut color, remove immediately from the heat and transfer into a heat-safe bowl. If your butter reduced significantly during the browning process, add the additional two Tblsps of butter. Allow butter to cool to room temperature.
4. Once the butter has cooled, cream together both sugars and the browned butter on high for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
5. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
7. Combine wet and dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
8. Fold in the toasted Frosted Flakes, Marshmallows and Chocolate chips.
9. Use a cookie scoop to place dough on a silicone mat lined cookies sheet (I did 6 cookies at a time since they spread) and at bake for 9-11 minutes. *You may have to adjust the time depending on the size of your cookie scoop.
10. Sprinkle with smoked sea salt as soon as you remove them from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.