In honor of the impending weekend holiday, I decided that recipe #10 of my 12 should be inspired by one of the most traditional Valentine’s Day day desserts. So I give you Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes by The Cake Blog!
For the Chocolate Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl combine all dry ingredients: flour , sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add oil and sour cream and mix together with whisk.
- Gradually add water and continue to whisk.
- Add vanilla and eggs and whisk until combined.
- Fill cupcake lines 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Strawberry Cream Cheese and Chocolate Ganache.
For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
12 oz cream cheese, softened
5 Tbsp strawberry puree (from 3/4 cup frozen strawberries)
1/2 tsp vanilla
6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- In bowl of stand mixer combine butter and cream cheese and beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Add strawberry puree and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually add confectioner’s sugar 2 cups at a time and mix until well combined.
- Place frosting in piping bag fitted with Wilton tip 2D. Hold piping bag straight above cupcake and squeeze and wiggle piping bag slightly and pull straight up to create the ruffled look.
- Place cupcakes in refrigerator for about 15 minutes to let the frosting set up.
For the Chocolate Ganache:
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1 Tbsp corn syrup
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place heavy cream and corn syrup in saucepan and heat over medium-high heat just until simmering.
- Put chocolate chips in bowl.
- Pour cream over top of chocolate chips and let sit 5 minutes, do not stir.
- Once chocolate begins to melt, stir mixture until chocolate is completely smooth.
- Allow chocolate to cool and firm up a little bit before drizzling over top of cupcakes.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
12 oz Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers
- Line baking sheet with wax paper.
- Wash and completely dry strawberries.
- Place Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers in bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals stirring after each, for about 1 and a half minutes, until chocolate is smooth.
- Dip strawberries in melted chocolate so they are about 3/4 the way covered. Place strawberries on prepared baking sheet.
- Once all strawberries are dipped place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
- Add Chocolate Covered Strawberries on top of cupcakes.
*Keep cupcakes stored in air tight container in refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
- My favorite cupcake to date, they were seriously….WOW.
- Everyone who tried it completely flipped, even people who didn’t normally like chocolate or didn’t like cream cheese based frostings.
- The buttercream recipe was a little off. I had to add an additional two cups of powdered sugar to get the frosting to the right consistency. With the 6, it poured out the end of my piping bag (ziploc bag with the corner cut off).
- Building it was a little labor intensive and tricky. Even after fixing the frosting consistency issue, I had a little trouble keeping everything together. Trying to layer frosting, ganache and then balancing the dipped berry? Yeah, there might have been a little bit of swearing. I think next time, and there will be a next time, I’ll frost…wait a bit…and then add the rest.