As the blog grows, it occurs to me that I haven’t gotten to meet many of you in person. Therefore, all of your Julie knowledge comes from the pages of this blog, so I figured I’d share 5 things you may not know about me. I think a one or two of these may even surprise some of my friends.
1. I wear a toe ring almost every day; the only time it comes off is when I have to wear a tighter pair of heels. Living in Florida means wearing a lot of sandals; along with getting pedicures regularly, I figured out that I feel fancier wearing a toe ring. Considering this discovery was made more than a decade ago, I now wear it mostly out of habit like my nose ring or the ring in my upper right ear. Don’t worry; it isn’t the same toe ring. I switch it out often, but it is almost always silver with a floral design.
2. I love shoes, like whoa, baby big time. High end, low end, whatever. I don’t care about brand names or the cache of a high price tag; I just like pretty shoes. I’m not even sure how many pairs I have at this point. It’s nothing too obscene, because 90% of my collection turns over pretty regularly. I do have about 10-15 pairs in my closet that I paid a bit more for, and they only get to come out on special occasions. True story, recently, one of my friends jokingly asked me what type of shoe I’d though I’d be. It took some careful consideration, but I decided on a glittery ballet flat. Understated, but a lot of fun 😉
3. After five years of marriage, my husband still thinks this is super strange, but I can only eat green bananas. Okay, there can be a little bit of yellow, but once they hit the “perfect” banana yellow? Game over. A single spot? Throw it away or make banana bread. The weirdest part is that it has nothing to do with taste; yellow or spotty bananas give me horrible indigestion.
4. I used to sing competitively. I did it all chorus, barbershop quartet, church choir, Fine Arts, every singing competition I could get into (within my financial means of course) I did it. I was actually pretty good too. I liked working with a small group or ensemble best, but I didn’t shy away from the solo work. Things fell apart my senior year of high school; I got really sick at the end of the school year to the point where I lost my voice off and on for about two months. By the time I was back in fighting shape, I’d missed the deadline for music school auditions, and I’d rekindled my passion for apparel design.
5. I am in love with the children’s movie My Neighbor Totoro. There is a tiny Totoro decal on the back window of my car, a small Totoro plush on my dresser at home, and I bought all of the Totoro tank tops from Hot Topic when they made it to Tallahassee. I don’t know what it is -most likely something to do with Totoro looking like a big plush kitty-, but I love watching him waddling around in his leaf hat and making the giant tree grow over night. I haven’t done it yet, but I may throw myself a Totoro themed birthday party one year.
Wow, that last one hurt to tell you guys just a bit…I am such a geek girl, I can’t help it!