Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: spicy brownies
A few months ago, I tackled the Maniac Fire Bread from Sweet & Vicious. It was pretty great, and one of my taste-testers was so in love that she HAD to have the recipe. Unfortunately, after reading the directions, she decided that the whole process was more than she cared to tackle with her limited baking skills. So I had a thought: what if I came up with something that combined the same flavors, but was much less complicated to complete? Say, something utilizing that most amazing of baking cheats, the box mix? Challenge accepted!
- 1 box of Betty Crocker Supreme Triple Chunk Brownies
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 2 eggs
- 1-1 1/2 tsp minced serrano chile
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray brownie pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine mix, cinnamon, milk, oil and eggs in a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Mince the serrano and then fold into batter and pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Obviously, this isn’t quite the same thing, you know, being brownies instead of a quick bread, but the flavor is there and you still have the dense texture that is dotted with chocolate chunks. Plus, it’s easier to cut and consume.
- I know a lot of bakers gasp at the idea of using mixes instead of baking from scratch, but let’s be honest – life is busy, and you don’t always have time to make everything from scratch. Besides if most people were given the choice between box mix brownies or no brownies, I’m pretty confident in asserting that they’ll happily take/settle for the box mix bakes. Sometimes it’s just better to work smart instead of hard.