Posts by month
Posts by category
Tag Archives: Studio DIY
I saw this amazing DIY on Studio DIY a while ago, and I knew I HAD to make one for myself. Heck, I wanted to make one for half of the people I know, but that seemed a teeny bit ridiculous and a lot of bit expensive. Then life got really busy, and a lot of recipes and diys I’d been planning got set aside. This past weekend I hosted brunch for a few of my friends, and I knew this was the perfect opportunity/excuse to finally give it a try. Added bonus, my lovely bosses gave me a VISA gift card for Administrative Assistant’s Day, and that, plus an Amazon gift card I already had, paid for the bulk of the supplies I needed.
- Clear Photo Tumbler (You could also do this with a travel mug.)
- Glitter, Sequins and/or Metallic Confetti (We used a combination! Raid your stash or the craft store!)
1. Make your glitter mix. We mixed a bunch of different colors, shapes and sizes. You don’t want anything too big (it won’t fit inside the tumbler).
2. Unscrew the bottom of the tumbler and remove the papers from inside. Sprinkle or spoon in the glitter mixture.
3. Fill the compartment with water, as full as you’d like. I filled mine up as much as possible. Tightly screw the bottom back on and that’s it! Obviously, do not unscrew the bottom again unless you are over a sink, but you really have no reason to! Hand wash only!
- I tweaked the DIY just a bit. I used distilled water to fill the cups, which will theoretically keep things from growing in the sealed cup, and we super sealed the bottoms with a bit of E6000 because two or three of them weren’t getting a tight seal.
All and all, this was an amazing project. All of my guests loved making them, and they were easy enough that we all ended up absent-mindedly picking out sequins and confetti while we caught up with one another. It was also really cool to see how different all of the final products ended up. We all had the same supplies to choose from, but no two looked alike. I am considering making another two or three of these to send to out of state friends for birthdays.
All images, except for the first, are from Studio DIY.
I love a good tea party. My mom and I used to have them when I was younger, and I try to go to at least one “fancy” high tea a year. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of the dressing up and nibbling tiny sammies and pastries with my pinky artfully in the air. Okay, the pinky thing isn’t true, but the rest is, so you can imagine how delighted I was when ladies over at Sugar & Cloth threw a gorgeous Tea Party for BHLDN. I love Sugar & Cloth, I love tea parties, and I LOVE BHLDN. What more could a girl want?
So many gorgeous details, and I love that they put a modern spin on a delightful older tradition. It can be difficult to find that perfect balance between old and new. So, who wants to go for tea this weekend?
All images from Sugar & Cloth.